- Precision-balanced steel workings and powerful air driven motors run smoothly with less vibration, ideal for high production industrial environments
- Improved durability, ergonomics and noise level maximize comfort and control for prolonged use
- Pneumatic power exceeds the capability of standard electric sanders, supplying hours of continual use
- HEPA rated Clean Sanding Filter Bags eliminate the need for vacuum hose and improve operator ease of use
- Aluminum body and durable composite cover reduce cracked housings and downtime
- Composite cover to prevent crack housings
Our line of 3M 28517 Elite Self-Generated Vacuum Random Orbital Sanders are 3M best-in-class tools designed to optimize the performance of 3M™ abrasives. Built with a powerful, precision-balanced air-driven motors and durable lightweight aluminum housing, these ergonomically designed workhorses stand up to industrial production and reduce user fatigue for hours of comfortable operation.
The Elite SGV sander is an integral part of the 3M™ Clean Sanding System made up of the SGV tool, Clean Sanding disc pad, and Clean Sanding disc (sold separately), engineered to effectively eliminate dust from the workpiece and surrounding space. It uses the inlet air to create its own venturi vacuum that extracts the dust from the work surface and expels it through a wide collection port on the back of the tool into a filter bag. The 3M™ Clean Sanding Filter Bag included with the tool achieves superior HEPA-rated dust collection with an air filter inside the bag that locks dust away and effectively retains it for disposal.
High Performance, Superior Ergonomics
Designed with the operator in mind, 3M 28517 Elite Series Random Orbital Sanders are loaded with ergonomic features that decrease work strain and improve productivity.
Wrist and hand support
- Extended curved wrist rest reduces stress on hand and wrist and provides additional leverage
- Recessed lever platform eliminates pinch and pressure points on the operator’s palm
- The rubber grip absorbs and reduces vibration and features 3M™ Gripping Material for a stronger grip and more control with less effort
- Durable composite cover extends to the base to absorb vibration and keeps tools in service by preventing cracked housings
Enhanced safety features:
- Internal muffler protects operator hearing and will not break off
- Convenient thumb-controlled speed dial reduces inadvertent speed changes
3M™ Hookit™ Disc Pad Included for Optimal Performance
3M™ Elite sanders perform best when paired with 3M™ disc pads and abrasives. Designed specifically to optimize the performance of these tools, the disc pad maximizes dust extraction and minimizes vibration for smooth operation. The 3M proprietary hole pattern reduces swarf in the middle of the pad and increases disc performance and life. Offering convenience and versatility, the 3M™ Hookit™ system enables easy disc changeouts and allows operators to use Scotch-Brite™ discs in addition to coated abrasive Hookit discs (both sold separately).
Why Choose a Random Orbital Sander?
3M™ random orbital sanders optimize sanding and surface preparation on wood, metal, fiberglass and composite materials, and many other substrates. Also known as dual action (D/A) palm sanders, these industrial-grade tools rotate the abrasive disc and disc pad in two simultaneous overlapping oval patterns so no single abrasive particle follows the same path twice, producing a random scratch and swirl-free finish ready for paint or varnish.